Wednesday, March 11, 2009
• 1/2 kg Small Potatoes
• 1 tablespoon Poppy seeds (posta dana)
• some peanuts and cashew nuts
• 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
• 1 tsp Chilli powder
• 1/4 tsp Green Mango Powder
• 1 tsp Ginger chilli paste
• 4 tbsp Ghee or oil
• 1 tsp Coriander powder
• a pinch of garam masala
• 4 tbsp Tomato puree
• Corainder leaves
• Salt to taste
How to make Dum Aloo:
• Make a fine powder by blending and mixing together Poppy seeds,peanuts,cashew,green chilli and ginger in a mixer. If you are not soaking it in water, you can add a pinch of sugar to it. It helps in making a smooth paste.
• Remove the peel from potatoes and prick them.
• Take oil in a frying pan and heat it for about one minute. Fry the potatoes on a medium heat until their color changes from white to light brown. Keep it aside. (You can avoid frying if you dont want it to be heavy)
• Take some oil in the pan and add the paste made in the mixer.
• Fry the mixture till the paste turns reddish brown.
• Add corainder powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder,green mango powder to the paste and raost it a bit.
• Add tomato puree to the paste and mix it well in the paste.
• Fry again for about a minute.
• Now add potatoes and mix it well.
• Add about 1-2 glass of water. Add salt.
• Keep it on a low flame with stirring in between till water dries and all the paste sticks to the potatoes well.
• Corainder leaves can be added for garnishing